Wednesday, January 2, 2013

DIY Conversion -- Kitchen Island to Seed Starting Stand

I've been lusting after Gardener's Supply Company's seed starting grow lights and stands for months, but they're dreadfully expensive.  When I have lights and surfaces on hand that function perfectly well, it's hard to justify such an investment.  My husband already teases me mercilessly about $100 peppers and $40 tomatoes.  Still, my own hodge podge lighting system was awkward and driving me nuts.  The 4-ft flourescent light was causing all kinds of problems since it could only hang diagonally and on the lower shelf.


So the kids and I took a trip to a home improvement store this morning in search of shorter flourescent lights.  I am very intimidated by power tools and DIY projects, but I managed to install them without any trouble.


I'm so happy with the end result! It may not be sexiest seed starting system available, but it's much more stream-lined than before and didn't cost me an arm and a leg.


Maybe at some point I'll find a more attractive way to raise and lower my seedlings as they grow... but Amazon boxes will work fine for now.  :)




3 comments:

  1. wow look at you! so nice and modern :) lol You're doing great Amy, I'm sure the tomatoes and peppers will get less expensive every year :P

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! Definitely envy-worthy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, girls! Yes, Patrica, that's the plan - less expensive every year. Unfortunately, I probably won't ever know because I'm not keeping a spreadsheet of my expenses... Looking back, there are definitely places I could have paid less and still grown just as much.

    ReplyDelete