Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Planting It Up

I established my new planting space beside the garage this weekend, a soon-to-be-vertical bed of sugar baby watermelons and delicata squash. Half the advice I found listed squash and melons as good companions, the other half insisted they be planted as far away from each other as possible. Which means -- I get to do whatever I want, since planting spaces are at a premium around here. We'll just have to see how things grow.


Evan is justifiably less than thrilled with my placement. The new bed is going to make use of that gate irritatingly awkward. But again, space is at a premium. I can't move the sun. And this has got to be better than breaking up the driveway. (I have to remember that line of defense.) I DID move the composter, for the 567th time, to make a better path. I can't have people clambering over my melons after all.

At some point, I took a break for some green beans and seeded nasturtiums around the pumpkin patch.


Then I gawked at our ripening blackberries...


Gawked at my husband installing our rain barrel diverter...


Fed the compost monster...


And found my next planting project in the pantry. Whee! 

1 comment:

  1. Love these posts! That rain barrel diverter will come in handy this summer.

    ReplyDelete