Thursday, April 19, 2012

Poor little peppers...

The good news is, I'm now pretty positive that blossom end rot is NOT the thing nabbing my baby peppers.  (Have just looked up lifecycle of a pepper plant to confirm this; there's a great picture on this ehow link shows a new flower, old flower, and burgeoning fruit.)  Being my first season to watch food grow, it makes sense that I wouldn't know the difference between a blossom doing its job and a blossom meeting an untimely end on the vine.  The bad news, it is STILL those freaking cutworms.  This is what I picked up out of the dirt this morning.


Beautiful baby peppers.  GRR.  For every five cutworms I kill on an average outdoor smooshing escapade, I'm clearly missing twice as many.  These tiny peppers actually smelled like bell peppers, too.  What did I expect, right?  But I couldn't stop sticking my nose against the little things and inhaling the smell of food.  I never do that with food I buy at the grocery store.  But having nurtured these from a little plant, I was amazed by them. 

Eve and I have been reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House books together for several weeks now.  It was a perfect day for us to get to the "The Glittering Cloud" chapter of "On the Banks of Plum Creek."  I still remembered reading this chapter as a little girl and the devastation Pa felt at seeing his entire wheat croup devoured by grasshoppers with NOTHING he could do about it.  Today it provided a dramatic adjustment for my perspective about my garden on which our lives do NOT depend.  Having a (fledgling container) garden is a luxury for me, a hobby even.  I want it to thrive, and I would love to decrease our need for grocery story trips, even a little bit.  But we're a long way from that happening, and we're not going to starve or struggle in the meantime.  Here's to not taking food for granted!

No comments:

Post a Comment