Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pea planting

I'm really focusing on peas these days. They're supposed to be easy to grow, and it's the season for them. So I'm shamelessly trying to boost my gardening ego with a bumper crop of snow peas and shell peas. In the meantime, I'm thoroughly enjoying the look of the bamboo tepees in our flower beds. Thank you Garden ridge clearance.

Ants are still fighting to occupy my east-side porch planter. I planted in spite of them and managed to avoid any bites. I'm trying cornmeal again as an organic control, but my confidence is shaky that it will work. I've heard coffee grounds, baby powder and diatomaceous earth are also effective ant controls, all of which I have easy access to. We have a pretty huge ant problem throughout our landscape, so I may have robust organic experiment on my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment