Monday, January 30, 2017

Making a dent

In the dead of winter (well...the North Texas' version), I walked around my yard and harvested a salad to go with dinner. These lingering fall plantings have survived all manner of yo-yoing weather. I managed to harvest 2.5 oz of fresh greens - a small head of "Devil's Ear" lettuce, clippings of El Dorado swiss chard, and handfuls of arugula. These greens filled out 2 generous adult-size salads and 1 child-size salad.

(I hadn't figured out the Tare function of my scale yet.)

This tasty head of lettuce was undeterred by 20deg weather.

I'm going to estimate the monetary worth of my yields based on my Farmer's Market purchases, not my Costco ones. I love Costco. But this is fresh-picked, front-yard-local, organic produce. Anyone who actually reads this blog, please feel free to give me a reality check based on your own Farmer's Markets purchases. What is a realistic price range for fresh, organic, local greens / oz?

For now, I'm going to say $1/oz. 

Total expenditures: $221.12
Total yields: $2.50
Running balance: $218.62

No comments:

Post a Comment