Sunday, January 15, 2017

Planting something is better than nothing.

I'm planning out where I want to start with my seeds this year. 

It always makes my head spin a little.  
How to get organized, where to plant what when... 
There's nothing for it, but to dive in and start somewhere. 
Anywhere.

Today it started at my kitchen table.


I took my humble, but newly organized seed box, and pulled out a smattering of packets. They ended up in piles labeled:


ROOT CROPS TO PLANT NOW
  • Carrots (Cosmic Purple, Muscade, Oxheart, Purple Dragon, 
  • Beets (Detroit Dark Red)
  • Radishes (Early Scarlet Globe and Plum Purple)

PERENNIALS TO START NOW
  • Victoria Rhubarb (I'll feel like a miracle gardener if this actually turns out to be a perennial for me. More likely I'll have to replant every year.)
  • Sea Kale, also labeled Beira and Tronchuda
  • Comfrey

WINTER CROPS TO START NOW (includes Herbs)
  • Broccoli (Summer Purple, Waltham 29, Rapini)
  • Cabbage (Brunswick, Red Acre)
  • Cauliflower (Chef's Choice Blend)
  • Kale (Dwarf Blue Curled Scotch, Scarlet)
  • Spinach (Monstrueux de Viroflay)
  • Stevia (herb I'm curious about)
  • Swiss Chard (Rhubarb Red)
  • Tansy (herb to repel insects)
  • Yarrow (herb for blueberry polyculture-Colorado Mix)

PEPPERS TO START NOW
  • Ancho Gigantea (medium hot, 4" poblanos)
    *Side note - I have yet in 4 seasons to successfully grow these. Time to try, try again.
  • Aurora (medium hot, small 1-1/2" fruits)
  • Georgia Flame (hot, long 8" fruits)
  • Jimmy Nardello's (sweet, long 10" fruits)
  • Macaroni Red (sweet, long 12" fruits)
  • Sheepnose Pimento (sweet, small fruits)

TOMATOES TO START NOW
Cherry Tomato Varieties
  • Black Vernissage
  • Jelly Bean Red & Yellow
  • Igleheart Yellow Cherry
  • Riesentraube
  • Velvet Red
Smallish-Medium Tomato Varieties
  • Nyagous (I grew this variety with fantastic success a few seasons ago. They were DELICIOUS, and I desperately want to taste them again.)
  • Principe Borghese
  • Speckled Roman
  • Ukranian Purple
The Big Guns
  • Mortgage Lifter (Halladay's)

My limited experience has been that cherry tomatoes are much easier to grow, at least around my house and in my climate. Because of this I sadly limited myself last year to only cherry tomatoes and a few plum-size varieties. This year, I've decided to be brave again and try out one large variety, the Mortgage Lifter. It's very name makes me visualize a tomato that puffs its chest and crows.

Simply organizing all of my seed packets feels so satifisying. It's not fancy. It's a salvaged cardboard box from the hardware store that used to hold edging stakes. It's roughly the right width for upright seed packets and long enough for...  holy cow, I just counted 115 seed packets. YIKES! I've bought so many freaking seeds! And WOW! I could grow so much food if I manage to plant all of this!

If you're just starting out, please allow me to give you a bit of unsolicited encouragement. 
Plant one or two things that you would love to eat. 
Even if it dies or gets eaten by a bug you didn't know existed before now, 
you will learn something and gain new skills for next time. 
Planting something is better than nothing. 

2 comments:

  1. I recently read: "Good things come to those who wait, but better things come to those who plan."

    ReplyDelete